Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Exclusive Colors? Yeah, Not So Much...


I just had to make an entry about something very, very odd I happened across in early November. Upon returning from a road trip to Ohio, I decided to make a quick stop in New Haven, IN just for the heck of it. One of the stores I stopped in was a Dollar General near I-469. Dollar Generals never have a huge display of Hot Wheels, but I have made some important finds in them. They do seem to be overlooked by a lot of collectors, despite the fact that their prices are more or less in line with everyone else's. On this particular night, I was perusing their small rack when my eyes met with an unexpected sight -- the yellow Triumph TR6 shown above. Why did this get my attention? Because the only place you are supposed to be able to get this car in yellow is Kmart. I recognized it immediately from the Kmart Hot Wheels Collectors Event in September. "What the...?" For a moment, I imagined someone returning it to the Dollar General by mistake. And the Dollar General taking it by mistake. And putting it on their rack by mistake... That's a lot of mistakes. But no. The truth was even stranger than I could have guessed, because as I went through the rest of the rack, I found the three other "exclusive" color cars that had been included in that same September shipment. So apparently it was Hot Wheels who made the mistake by shipping a Kmart box to Dollar General. And of course this made me wonder if this has happened before. Maybe the reason Kmart only had four cases of cars at the November event I attended was because the fifth box went to a Walgreens or something. You just never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment